Training & Events for Professionals
Continuing Education for Natural Resource Professionals
Continuing education events offered by Extension Forestry at NC State University are intended for working professionals in forestry, soils, landscape architecture, wildlife biology, water quality, forest hydrology, arboriculture, and any other vocation relating to forest ecosystems (managed or natural). Many of these events include continuing education contact hours or CEU from various accrediting organizations. Details and registration information for these events are posted on the Extension Forestry event calendar.
Earning credits from home!
NC State Extension Forestry has partnered with Southern Regional Extension Forestry, USDA NRCS and other land-grant Universities to bring you a webinar portal providing links to forestry, natural resource and conservation related education and information. You can subscribe to learn about upcoming webinars on topics that interest you, as well as watch archived webinars at any time. Be sure to check it out today at Forestry Webinars.net.
NC Registered Forester Exam Prep Distance Education Course
This online Moodle course is offered to anyone interested in preparing to sit for the North Carolina Registered Forester Exam (Level 1 or Level 2). This Exam Prep is a self-directed, online resource available year round. It is recommended that a minimum study time for either of the exams be not less than 3 weeks prior to the next scheduled exam. Exam dates are announced on the website for the NC Board of Registration for Foresters.
The Exam Prep Moodle site is organized into nine topic areas that are tested by the NC Board of Registration for Foresters. These 9 exam prep sections will review the knowledge and skills that are provided during a traditional Society of American Foresters accredited undergraduate degree. Each section is provided as an on-demand offering that can be viewed, downloaded and printed at any time while the course is active. Below is a partial list of topic areas in the course:
- dendrology, physiology, nutrition, reproduction and genetics
- forest ecology, wildlife and ecosystems
- forest economics, taxes and wood valuation
- forest health, pests, pathogens
- general forestry knowledge
- history, law, policy, and social issues
- measurements, mensuration, statistics and remote sensing
- silviculture, soils, hydrology, BMP, RxFire
- wood anatomy and products
Please note that the exam prep materials do not originate from, nor are they endorsed by, the NC Board of Registration for Foresters. Completion of any, or all, of the review materials and test questions does not ensure a passing grade by those who take the exam. We recommend that you visit the NC Board of Registration for Foresters to be sure that you understand the application process and all NC Registered Forester requirements.
- Audience: This series of modules was created for persons who qualify to sit for the State of North Carolina registered forester exam as administered by the NC Board of Registration for Foresters.
- Moodle Technology and Course Delivery: The course consists of readings, videos, slide presentations, and other supporting resources which will be available for download and self study. The course content is delivered via Moodle, NC State University learning management system, which is compatible with all Internet browsers when using a PC or MAC (not recommended for mobile devices). In total, you will have access to over 100 publications and learning sites which allow you to do additional study, work problems, and test your knowledge in preparation for the state exam. The course material will be available for the course period that you registered.
- Registration and Fees: Online registration is available using a major credit card. The course fee is $100, payable by credit card through the NC State University REPORTER system.