Prescribed fire is a forest management tool utilized throughout the Southeast. To learn more about fire and its role in managing forest review the following resources or complete the online training course.
Select the publication you want to read. Many of the publications are in pdf file format and are available free for downloading. A free pdf reader can be downloaded from Adobe.
- Fire-Resistant Landscaping in North Carolina
- Wildland Fire Programming Guide (AG-861)
- Using Fire to Improve Wildlife Habitat (AG-630)
- Prescribed Burning: Spotfires and Escapes. (NREM-2903, OSU Factsheet)
- Prescribed Fire: Understanding Liability, Laws and Risk
Introduction to Southeastern Prescribed Fire: This online training course has been developed to introduce participants to prescribed burning in Southeastern ecosystems. At the conclusion of the course, participants will have a working knowledge of fire terminology, fire law, fire prescriptions, firebreaks, smoke management and a basic understanding how to conduct a prescribed burn. The course is not intended to take the place of state Certification courses, workshops, or experience in the field; but rather to give participants a basic understanding of the principles of prescribed fire and fire effects. To enroll in this course, please visit campus.extension.org, create a free account, and search Southeastern Prescribed Fire.
eFire: This interactive site allows you to choose your own eFIRE experience! Become virtually immersed in a prescribed burn, learn why and how burns are conducted, read the provided resources, and/or hear from the multiple types of people who use prescribed fire as a land management tool!
Southeast Prescribed Fire Update blog. The blog provides landowners, consultants, agencies, academia, and the prescribed fire community with current training opportunities, press releases, event happenings, information and educational materials pertinent to prescribed burning in the Southeastern United States.
- Why Prescribed Fire?
- Shortleaf Pine and Prescribed Fire – Lake Norman State Park
- Good Fire In The Mountains – Prescribed Fire Workshop at Lake James State Park
- Prescribed Fire Techniques
- Prescribed Fire 101: An Introduction for Private Landowners
- Other Dangers on the Fireline
- The Croatan Explorer: Carnivorous Plants of The Croatan Forest: This video discusses prescribed fire in relation to the Croatan National Forest.
- North Carolina Prescribed Fire Council
- North Carolina Forest Service Prescribed Fire
- Southern Fire Exchange
- Consortium of Appalachian Fire Managers & Scientists
Are you seeking assistance?
- North Carolina Cooperative Extension County Centers
- North Carolina Forest Service County Ranger Office
- Private Forestry Service Providers – Contractors and service providers
A portion of this work is funded through grants from partners of the Southeast Partnership for Planning and Sustainability (SERPPAS) to help fulfill their goal of implementing a comprehensive, regional strategy to increase prescribed burning in the Southeast. Please come back to visit.